Middle of the night excitement!  

I woke up at 3am with a coughing fit. (I'm recovering from bronchitis.) At 3:10am, I heard a screech, screech, CRUNCH! I looked out my window and saw a truck had hit the utility pole across the street. The driver desperately tried to get his truck to move, but it was damaged too badly and wouldn't budge. For two hours there was commotion out there - various people trying to help move it, tow truck hauling the vehicle away, police, etc. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep!

This morning I took a look at the damage. The wooden utility pole was split in two and the telephone pedestal (grey box that sticks up about 3 feet out of the ground) was completely destroyed. He had mowed it down. Amazingly enough, we still have telephone service!

The utility company came out today and replaced the pole with a concrete one, so we were without power for a little while today, but we have generators on campus, so we kept working!

Here's my take on the situation - 3am, driver hits utility pole 8 feet from the road (on a straight stretch). Driver is gone when the police show up. I'm guessing he was drunk!

1 comments

  • Anonymous  
    3:49 PM

    Jenni, I really don't understand why you didn't go out there and make a citizen's arrest. After all, he did disturb your sleep!

Post a Comment