Works for Me Wednesday - Airline Travel  

As holiday travel season is approaching, I thought I'd share travel tips that work for me!

Water - TSA regulations forbid bringing liquids through security, and drinks in the airport are EXPENSIVE! I bring my own empty water bottle and fill it up at a drinking fountain after I clear security screening. I like my CamelBak because the lid has a loop so I can attach it to my bag with a carabiner. Or you can attach a regular water bottle with one of these. You could also bring some "on the go" flavor packs along for some variety.

Luggage - Mail it! My next upcoming trip has 3 separately ticketed segments with overnights and stopovers at each place. I plan on mailing clothes ahead to a couple of the destinations. This will save me money in the long run and I won't have heavy luggage to collect at each stop. For instance, for my farthest destination, I'd have to pay a total of $90 round trip for my first checked suitcase. I can mail quite a bit for that amount! :-) I'll carry a couple changes of clothes and things in my carry-on.

Pillow - Airline pillows just don't cut it. They are small and wimpy. Most of the time I travel with my full size down pillow. Especially on international flights! So far it's never been counted as an extra carry-on. I guess because it can sit in my lap. I used to have a drawstring backpack that I could stuff it in to hike through the airport without having to carry it. But then I got a smaller bag and a larger pillow. That combination didn't work so well. :-)

Snacks - bring your own candy, granola bars, dried fruit, peanut butter sandwich, etc. Airport food is expensive and snacks on the plane are OUTRAGEOUS!

Bungee cords - stick a couple different sizes in your carry-on bag. They come in handy for all sorts of things. I now strap my pillow to my wheeled carry-on suitcase with them.

Packing cubes - these keep your suitcase neat and organized, especially when it gets checked by TSA! I have 2 sets of these and they hold almost all of my clothes for a 2 week trip! A place for everything & everything in it's place!
Packing Cubes - 3pc Set


Document organizer - This keeps my tickets, passport, frequent flyer cards and other documents organized. There is a pen holder loop and a zippered pocket where I keep my foreign currency. I drop it in the front pocket of my carry-on so it's always accessible.
Frontier Document Organizer



Pack-it-flat Toiletry Kit - I absolutely love this toiletry kit for traveling. It's slim for packing in my carry-on or suitcase. It holds everything I need. When open, there is a small hanging hook for the bathroom door or towel rack.
Pack-it-Flat Toiletry Kit


For more works-for-me Wednesday tips, visit Rocks in my Dryer

0 comments

Post a Comment